Antenatal classes for your birth & baby preparation – providing a foundation of robust knowledge, strategies and skills you can rely on.
Based on experience, evidence and proven practical skills, these antenatal classes aim to better prepare you for labour, birth and baby. It is not about birth being easy, it is about having good knowledge, being at the centre of your care, managing any challenges and knowing what you can do.
No two births are the same and your need for information, support and reassurance can vary. As a practitioner who has worked with expectant parents for almost 20 years, I passionately believe in good education for all births – not just your ideal birth.
Only 27% of labours are currently without any intervention. So there is focus on working with and managing contractions along with knowing more about induction, caesareans and epidurals. This means you know more about what to expect, your options and being informed if labour becomes more complicated.
There are 6 modules plus interactive worksheets, checklists & audio files to download. This course will guide you through all you need to know to enhance your knowledge and skills for labour, birth and baby.
By the end of these antenatal classes, you will know more about…
Labour & Birth
- working with your contractions
- managing your energy
- pain management options
- effective birth support
- positions & movement
- panic points and how to manage them
Relax & Breathe
- knowing how to use your breathing with contractions, for more energy and to stay calm
- managing any panic
- easing aches and discomfort
- having simple and effective breathing and relaxation techniques for pregnancy, birth and when your baby is here
- being induced and the options
- having a caesarean
- knowing your options & making decisions
- meeting your baby
- your recovery
- early days & weeks with your baby
In addition, you will also have the opportunity to:
*develop your own birth plan with questions and strategies
*think about what you might need
*know what questions to ask
*know more about potential challenges and how to manage them
*have resources to reflect on the birth of your baby
You will benefit from:
*a calm, knowledgeable approach
*working with an experienced practitioner
*practical resources and downloads to use in pregnancy, during labour and when your baby is here
*access to ongoing information, support and reassurance
This course is ideal if you are expecting your first baby and it works well as a refresher if you are getting ready to birth again. 1:1 sessions can be arranged to fit in with your schedule.
There are four antenatal course packages for you to choose from:
- Personalised Antenatal Course with six online or 4 face-to-face 1:1 sessions with me (£250)
- Refresher Antenatal Course – if this is not your first labour – with three online or 2 face-to-face 1:1 sessions (£125)
- Self-Paced Antenatal Course to go through in your own time (£45) with resources to download and with follow-up emails. You can also add 1:1 sessions to ask questions and gather more information.
- Small Group Antenatal Course – if you want to do the antenatal course with a friend or two – with six online or 4 face-to-face sessions with me (£150)
All packages include ongoing access to:
* the online antenatal course modules
* guides & worksheets
* relax & breathe audio
* the online community group for ongoing conversation and reassurance.
Based in the North East, I regularly work with parents from Newcastle, Northumberland, Gateshead and across Tyneside.
With digital courses and online video sessions I can now work with parents everywhere.
A few words about why I created these antenatal classes…
Labour and birth can be brilliant, euphoric and straight-forward, as well as complicated, overwhelming and scary. Labour, birth and becoming a parent is emotional and it is these emotions that you can’t truly prepare for. However you can be equipped with effective knowledge and skills so you know more about the childbirth process; about new babies; about what helps and what might not; and how to use these practical skills to focus on being comfortable and staying calm.
I passionately believe that when labour is straight-forward and well supported, the contractions are do-able. And when underpinned by a positive mindset, effective strategies, skills and ongoing reassurance, there is nothing to fear.
But there are many factors that can impact contractions. A long labour, a back-to-back baby, being induced, fear and lack of support and consistency can all make labour and birth tougher than expected
doing birth on purpose
One type of birth is not better than another. My role is to help you gather the knowledge, skills and confidence to make decisions, plans and to do what works best for you.
I have worked as a birth practitioner since 2002 – as an antenatal teacher and then also as a birth doula. So I understand how varied birth can be.
It’s crucial to put yourself at the centre of your care – to say what you need, so you are communicated with, so you can work well with your midwife and so you are informed and able.