Birth balls are a great tool for pregnancy, birth and when your baby is here.
Using a birth ball in pregnancy
- sitting on a birth ball or leaning into a ball means you can rock and sway to ease stiffness as well as any back and hip ache, especially in the third trimester
- regular use can encourage your baby to be in a more optimal position for labour
- the more you become familiar with using a ball during your pregnancy, the more likely you are to use it during labour
Using a birth ball during labour & birth
- sitting and rocking on a ball can keep you upright and comfortable
- it can encourage your baby into a good position for birth
- leaning into the ball can support you in a more upright position when you are tired or when you are giving birth
Using a birth ball with your baby
- Movement can help to settle a baby so it can be useful to sit, gently bounce or sway on the ball to calm them
How to know your birth ball is the right size for you…
* when you sit on the ball, it supports you rather than sinking into it
* your feet are comfortably flat on the floor
* your knees are lower than your hips and your knees feel comfortable
* your back is straight
* it feels stable to sit on it
* it feels comfortable
I am on hand with consultations to be on hand during your pregnancy and to help you prepare for labour and birth.
As a doula I work with parents from across Newcastle and Tyneside.
How can I help?
Copyright: Janine Smith